Session at a Glance
|Topic||Description||Estimated Time (In Minutes)|
|Arrival Activity||Students complete learner profile forms to provide instructor with relevant information about their backgrounds, prior knowledge, and expectations from the course.||10|
|Introductions, Attendance, and Course Goals||Instructor introduces him/herself and gives an overview of the course goals and philosophy.||20|
|Icebreaker: People Bingo||Students participate in an icebreaker activity to get to know each other in a fun way and to set the tone for an interactive course.||20|
|Syllabus and Other Course Essentials||Review course syllabus, calendar, and policies. Introduce course reader, textbook, homework expectations, and online course website.||30|
|Science Activity: Paper-Copters||Students participate in a hands-on activity, Paper-copters, to engage them in a playful, open-ended investigation and give them a taste of the participatory hands-on nature of the course.||30|
|Optional: Video and Discussion||Watch a video to spark conversation about curiosity as the basis of scientific investigation.||10|
|Looking Ahead to Next Session||Discuss the homework and reading assignment to be completed before next session. Go over the materials that the students will be responsible for bringing.||10|
- Session 1_Instructor Guide (PDF, 7.3MB)
- Session 1_PowerPoint (PPTX, 5.2MB)
- Reader_Session 1_Paper Copter Directions (PDF, 84KB)
- Reader_Session 1_Paper Copter Template (PDF, 176KB)
Student Learning Goals
- Understand the requirements and expectations of the course.
- Recognize the importance of experiencing an inquiry-based, hands-on approach to their own learning.
- Begin to see themselves as part of a community of learners.