Session at a Glance
|Topic||Description||Estimated Time (In Minutes)|
|Arrival Activity||Students make name cards that represent themselves. They will use this card in the People Sort activity and display it at their seat each session.||15|
|Announcements, Agenda, and Teaching Approach||Give a general overview of the session. Review underlying philosophy and teaching approach of the course.||10|
|Math Activity: People Sort with Names||Students participate in a name activity that can be done with young children to get to know each other and gain practice with sets and sorting.||20|
|Discussion: How paper-copter activity connects with Preschool Foundations in Science||Students talk with a partner about their ideas from last session’s homework.||20|
|Hands-on Science and Math Activity: Water Exploration||Students participate in open-ended water exploration, and reflect on the opportunities for math and science learning.||75|
|Looking Ahead to Next Session||Discuss the homework and reading assignment to be completed before next session. Go over the materials that the students will be responsible for bringing.||10|
- Session 2_Instructor Guide. (PDF, 2.9MB)
- Session 2_PowerPoint (PPTX, 12MB)
- Reader_Session 2_Making the Most of Water Play article (PDF, 446KB)
- Reader_Session 2_Sample Water Play Family Letter (PDF, 63KB)
- Reader_Session 2_Science Process Skills handout (PDF, 93KB)
Student Learning Goals
- Understand concepts of “mathematizing” and “binary sort”.
- Appreciate the importance of embedding math and science learning in children’s prior knowledge and real world contexts.
- Deepen understanding of science process skills appropriate for young children.