Session at a Glance
|Topic||Description||Estimated Time (In Minutes)|
|Arrival Activity||Students look at names of common household substances and try to match them to their chemical names.||10|
|Welcome, Announcements, and Agenda||Give a general overview of the session and any relevant announcements, and provide time for sharing.||10|
|Discussion: Constructivist Chemistry||Students share ideas and insights they had from the reading on cooking transformations and are introduced to the broader topic of Constructivist Chemistry.||15|
|Making Mixtures Group Activity||Students work in their groups to make their assigned mixtures. They then take time to plan out a brief presentation. After the presentations, students explore the different mixtures and exchange more ideas about doing these activities with children.||115|
|Looking Ahead to Next Session||Review the materials that the students will be responsible for bringing to the next session. No reading or written homework is assigned to give students time to work on their Midterms.||10|
- Session 7_Instructor Guide (PPF, 4.2MB)
- Session 7_PowerPoint (PPTX, 6.6MB)
Student Learning Goals
- Understand the value of constructivist learning in the context of making mixtures.
- Have a direct experience with transforming substances and observing the results of their own actions.
- Communicate Making Mixtures Group Activity classroom application ideas in class presentation.